The current owner originally purchased this vehicle in 1982. At that time the car had an original silver paint with black standard interior, 327 350 horse-power engine and 4-speed manual transmission. After 27 years of service and upkeep, with regular driving during the summer months, the owner decided it was time for a complete restoration overhaul, not just to its original spec, but the way the owner would have ordered it-even better than new. The goal would be to retain a stock and classic look, while using modern components to make the vehicle more comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable to drive.
Xtreme Restorations was brought in to perform a ten month, complete frame-off/body-strip restoration. As usual, sins of the past were discovered and repaired. (Prior body damage, poor workmanship and evident abuse are commonly encountered by the Xtreme team, but always successfully overcome.)
The Xtreme customization for this 'vette included:
- Paint: 2010 Infinity, Indulgence Silver Pearl-clear coated and color buffed to perfection.
- Interior: Red leather (not available as an interior color with silver paint in 1966).
- Tops: soft top, custom logo red hartz cloth or auxiliary factory hard top.
- Driver's side pedal box: Floor was removed and an extra 5" of leg room was added.
- Sound system: Original radio was upgraded to 180 watt AM/FM with iPod input. Kicker sub, alpine
amp and 4 cabin speakers round out this bad boy sound system.
- Air conditioning: The owner wanted a "factory-appearing" system. The owner and Xtreme were able
to locate all of the original parts necessary to reproduce a 100% factory install.
- Wheels/Tires: 17" Rocket, Fuel Series wheels, wrapped in custom made Diamond Back 17"
redlines really made a huge improvement in ride and handling.
- Power windows: To enhance reliability, aftermarket components were used with original switches.
The result is a system that works better than the original, but looks factory stock.
- Insulation: Dyna-mat insulation installed on all interior surfaces and door interiors has alleviated
the typical noise and cabin heat problems so common to Corvettes.
The resulting Corvette is just the way the owner would have ordered it new: beautiful, comfortable, tight and perfectly tuned.
The car debuted at 2010 Detroit Autorama and took 1st Place, Class Winner for Modified Sports.